Shipping Update - Asia
- Strong demand for containers out of Asia, due to a decrease of imports and a surge on exports, well ahead of the usual peak season.
- Shipping lines are looking to buy, lease and re-position containers to Asian ports.
- Right now, there is a shortage of equipment (empty containers) in Asia, and with full vessels departing Asian Ports, the surplus of export cargo ex Asia can’t currently be met.
- Locally in AU, shipping lines are seeking assistance from the import community, to take deliveries of FCLs ASAP, to allow empty containers be returned for export use, or to be re-positioned back to Asian ports.
- Continued port congestion in Australia has shipping lines in Asia worried; to the point where they are requesting shippers to consider shipping to less-congested ports in Australia as their port of final destination.