Khapra Beetle Update [Exclusions List & Provisional Alternative Treament Options]
The Dep’t of Agriculture, Water & the Environment (DAWE) has released updates for the khapra beetle measures. This includes exclusions and alternative treatment options for high risk plant products.
Exclusions List to the Khapra Beetle measures:
- The exclusions list of high-risk plant products is relevant to Phases 1-3 and Phase 6A part 1.
- The plant products exported on or after 2 August 2021 are no longer considered high risk:
- Commercially prepared & package goods that have been thermally processed- material has been transformed from its original raw form.
- Goods commercially milled/ground to powder, meal, flakes and in 25kg bags or less.
- Only commercial consignments will require a phytosanitary certificates to verify they are khapra-beetle free.
NB. An imported good is considered retail packaged if commercially prepared/packaged and ready for the Australian market with no further processing, packaging or labelling.
Provisional Alternative Treatment Options:
Phase 3 Kaphra Beetle urgent actions for high-risk plant products will commence September 2021.
- Mandatory offshore treatment using approved options for high-risk plant products from khapra beetle target risk countries (both air & sea)
- Heat treatment, methyl bromide fumigation & form some products where these are not feasible, modified atmosphere treatment. (to register for this treatment contact via email: email@example.com)
Alternative treatments can be found on the DAWE’s page